Working at Stardome
Stardome and its team have been sharing a love of Space from its premises in Auckland’s One Tree Hill Domain since 1967. A place of exploration, research, and sharing of knowledge Stardome has been regularly open for public viewing evenings and daytime visits for school trips ever since.
This is an opportunity to work with a passionate team and deliver a unique experience to the Auckland public. The successful applicant may be looking to take the next step in their career and will have the ability to lead teams in creating a positive work environment and a fantastic customer experience.
In this management role, you will be responsible for:
- Day-to-day operation and administration of the planetarium
- Preparing and delivering the planetarium public schedule
- Researching and purchasing new planetarium shows
- Managing the planetarium and volunteer teams to ensure an optimal customer experience
- Working with the management team in creating event experiences for the public
- Building relationships with external contacts for event opportunities
- Speaking to the media on astronomical and Stardome events
- Acting as a planetarium presenter, when required.
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have strong communication and organisation skills.
- Be able to demonstrate a strong working knowledge in using technical equipment, including specialist software systems.
- Experience in leading a team.
- Be customer focused.
- Have a passion for sharing knowledge.
- Be enthusiastic and a team player.
- Have a positive attitude.
An interest in astronomy is not-essential but the successful applicant will be motivated to learn a new area of expertise. Previous knowledge of the planetarium environment and technical equipment is also not essential and training will be provided. Ability to speak Te Reo would be an advantage but is not a necessity. This is a full-time position, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and involves day, evening and weekend work.
Send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers make a real difference to us at Stardome Observatory & Planetarium. Everyday, our volunteers teach our visitors about space, through showing them what can be seen through a telescope, or through helping kids learn about space at our school holiday programs. Please contact us on email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering at Stardome.
There are currently no Telescope Volunteer positions available. Check back again for future opportunities to volunteer at Stardome.
School Holiday Volunteers
We are searching for enthusiastic secondary school student and adult volunteers to help run our school holiday experience for our visitors!
Every school holidays we run five shows (10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm & 2pm) per day for two weeks. We have around 75 children and adults in each group. Each session has a feature show in our Planetarium theatre, and a fun activity trail. Volunteers are rostered from 10am to 4pm. You can nominate how many days you wish to work over the holidays. We welcome all the help we can get, and usually ask for two or three days from each volunteer.
The job consists of assisting with setup, helping children with the activities on the trail – there may be face painting colouring in and fun tasks for the kids to complete – and then helping with clean-up. There will be time during the day for coffee/lunch break. At the end of the holiday, each volunteer receives a written reference from us and a pass to come back and see a show in the Stardome Planetarium.
You just need to bring your lunch and your sense of fun!
How to apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org